Tuesday, February 13, 2007

OUCH!!!!

So, I have not been @ work for a few days...anyone wondering about me there? Well, even if no one there is wondering, I'm tellin'!

Have you ever thought about the effort involved in picking up a simple object off of the ground? For most of us, pretty easy! Have you thought about the effort involved in the process of getting dressed? For that same most, no problem! Right?

I have been in the "most of us" category for the majority of my lifetime as well...Until Saturday at about 4am, I (again) have been taken out of the “most of us” group. I was up and decided to get something picked up off of the floor on my way to the restroom. That seemed easy enough. Um, yeah, right - WRONG. I have done some serious damage to my back (which if you do not know was ruined back in my Disney working days).

I am sure it is a combination of lifting things improperly as well as things that are a bit too heavy over the last year. It could not just be the result of the tiny, feather weighted article of clothing I innocently scooped up off of the ground (I hope it couldn't be). But whatever the case - YIKES! I have not been able to sleep much. Any movement up, down, forward or back is painful beyond words! Just getting into & out of bed is an issue. I am headed to the doctor today. Why the 3 day delay (?), you might ask. I had figured (with the history of back injuries) that this 'issue' would be resolved on its own.

I think I have a serious issue when 6 Advil do NOTHING. And let me say that I am no whimp when it comes to back pain (other things, yeah I can be. Back pain = no way!). I have lived day in & day out with pain in my lower back that has been there since I was about 20 yrs old. It is not fun but I deal. I have a few tricks that normally would make it better. I have tried all of my old tricks - stretching, over the counter meds, hot pads, cold packs, ICYHOT self stick patches, alternating sitting & standing, walking, light sports message. Nothing has brought an ounce of relief.

So, I must fold and head into the Doctor.

MEH! Not the doctor! (hey, did u see that? Huh? huh? Did ya??) I hate having to go there. I better get some sort of help from them!


LESSON OF THE DAY - Bend from the knees to pick up ANYTHING at all!! Take care of you so no one else has to.

1 comment:

AvMan said...

I have a bad back also. I am constanly hurting myself and can't seem to do anything right to fix it. I slack too much. My doc keeps telling me to keep a workout routine and that will help. but i'm lazy.